- First: We’re giving you the context on this week’s biggest headlines, including: another interest rate hike, storm damage in Puerto Rico, new anxiety screenings coming to a doctor’s office near you, and growing protests in Iran.
- Then: Picture this: it’s 2014. You’re anxiously waiting for another episode of Serial to drop in your podcast feed. Fast forward to this week: a major development drops in the Adnan Syed case. We’ll skimm Syed’s case, why Serial put his case in the spotlight, and why it’s back in the news…in 60 seconds.
- Next: After several governors sent migrants to Martha’s Vineyard, NYC, and DC, “immigration” and the “border” are being Google-searched more than “abortion” and “inflation”. We call up an expert to help cut through the noise about what’s really happening at the border, whether there’s actually a border “crisis”, and what the federal government is doing to help.
- Finally: It was all pomp and circumstance at the Queen’s funeral. But have royal funerals always been so fit for a queen? We talk to a reporter to learn how royal funerals have changed over time, get a vibe check on the UK, and what’s to come from the monarchy under King Charles.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
- Kristie De Peña, vice president of policy and director of immigration, The Niskanen Center
- Erin Vanderhoof, staff writer and co-host of Dynasty, Vanity Fair
PS: Calling all Skimm This listeners. Have questions about the news, work, or life? Call and leave us a voicemail at (929) 266-4381. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Want more Skimm?
- Sign up for our free daily newsletter
- Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm’d by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin with additional help from Alaisha Key. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear.