Creative Shop Talk with Wendy Batten
Hi, I’m Wendy. And I’m imperfect.
I have made so many mistakes along the way and have lots of imperfections. I’ve had hard experiences and failures and am always working on improvement. We learn and grow from our mistakes, right? I’m sharing so that maybe you can learn from my mistakes/hard learnings.
Grab your pen, tune in and maybe you’ll see some things that you’re doing and feel like, “you know what, we’re all a hot mess at times in our business, but I can always learn and grow.”
My 7 Deadly Sins (aka mistakes) as a Retailer:
- Superwoman/Superman Syndrome – The I can do it my way mindset. Don’t DIY everything in your business. Invest in the right people who can help you.
- Taking things personally – This can wear you out fast. We have to learn how to accept feedback and not let it tear us to pieces. The negative influences are not your people.
- Comparisonitus – and maybe even Imposter Syndrome. Comparison is the thief of joy. Be the special CEO that you are and keep moving forward in your own direction.
- Lack of Communication – This can make you a poor leader toward your staff and team. Have the proper training, policies & procedures, and manuals in place.
- Overworking – It’s time to draw a line in the sand and create boundaries for yourself. We can’t be on 24/7. It doesn’t serve you, your family, business, or your clients.
- Not taking care of my health – Avoid the burnout moments by making YOU your biggest asset. Your physical, mental and emotional health should be on your priority list every day.
- Passive Business Development – Your level of success will rarely exceed your level of personal development. As we grow, we need to invest in ourselves. We always need to improve, tweak and educate ourselves. Find a coach, a mentor, mastermind classes, etc. If we aren’t always learning and growing, neither is our business.
Have faith in yourself, friends. Struggles are learning opportunities.
Full show notes here https://wendybatten.com/125/
A weekly podcast for busy and passionate creative shop owners who want to run a profitable and successful retail business.