Visit https://podnews.net/update/archive-downloads for all the links, and to get our newsletter.
- 48% of podcast downloads are of old shows, says research from Firstory. The company points out that dynamic audio insertion for advertising makes all shows monetisable, even old ones; and will launch mass DAI tools this quarter.
- Exclusive:PodInbox has launched a monetisation feature to allow podcasters to get fan donations. As podcasters ask fans to leave audio messages on their page, they can now ask for donations too; message tipping and recurring donations are on the way.
- WOC Podcasters share that the Oprah Winfrey Network is accepting podcast pitches.
Classifieds – your job or ad here
Long Shot Leaders Podcast – Follow Us Today! — We tell the stories of underdogs who have found success. Our guests consist of people from all walks of life. Academy Award winners, Holocaust survivors, sports heroes, you name it!
🐦 Early Bird $$$ to Podcast Movement Evolutions — increase Wednesday night! So go and get your worm, and be a part of the can’t-miss podcast conference of the spring. Join over a thousand podcasters & industry professionals in LA this March!
Subscribe to Podcasting Business School — Learn how to love your podcast like a hobby, but build it like a business. The focus of this show is to help podcasters increase their downloads, level up audience engagement, and start to monetize.
What Your Downloads Don’t Tell You… — Downloads are one way to measure success for your show. But they’re not the only one. And they’re certainly not the best. Learn how to set better goals & build a strategy around metrics that matter.
Don’t miss out! Final Deadline – January 21st — The podcast industry is skyrocketing. Do you have a fiction podcast script? Final deadline – January 21st. Visit Shore Scripts for more info and to enter! Two winners get a $5000 production fund each!
Supercast: paid subscription built for podcasters — “After 7 years on another platform and 1 year on Supercast, the results are clear – we’re growing 3x faster with Supercast.” – Jesse Brown, Canadaland. Isn’t it time to diversify your revenue?
- 270 scientists and medical professionals have written to Spotify about Joe Rogan’s podcast, asking for Spotify to moderate misinformation on its platform after a recent episode with Robert Malone. The letter suggests ”Spotify is enabling its hosted media to damage public trust in scientific research and sow doubt in the credibility of data-driven guidance offered by medical professionals.” The Daily Beast suggests ”he’s a platform for all sorts of unfiltered crazy”.
- Chartable now offers a pixel-less onboarding option for SmartAds. The new solution is server-to-server, and unlike the pixel-based version, cannot be detected or disabled by ad blockers.
- Branded podcast agency Sweet Fish Media is to build new offices in Winter Garden FL, USA, including four studios and a go-kart track.
We’ve got a slightly new look with tweaked colours for accessibility, and a bolder font for new skimmable links to make reading Podnews even faster. We’d be grateful for your feedback.
Moves and hires
- Maria Garcia is the new Executive Editor of Futuro Studios. She joins from WBUR.
- Steven Hein has launched his own podcast company, Story Mill Media. He was SVP of Digital Content at NBC Entertainment, and worked for Nerdist Podcast Network and Fox.
The Tech Stuff
- Jason Snell posts some fancy AppleScript that lets you hit one button on an external keyboard to add a note for better podcast editing.
- A method to inform podcast apps the instant a new episode is published, Podping saw 139,328 new episodes published over the last seven days.
- You can use the Podping Watcher to see new episodes appear in real time.
- Apple Podcasts or Spotify don’t use Podping. Both platforms check our RSS feed every five minutes or so. Assuming they do that for each of Buzzsprout’s 107,045 active podcasts, that is more than 18,090,605 RSS feed requests. Podping would reduce that traffic to just 159,696 requests (one per new episode): saving 99.2% of bandwidth, server time and electricity while offering a better-updated directory for listeners.
- The open list of podcast analytics prefixes has been updated with Podkite and Mediamétrie. The same repo also includes updated RSS useragents and podcast app useragents.
- Does anyone know what
Podcast Player/1.1is a useragent for? (Imagine how easy that is to Google).
Tips and tricks
- An important interviewing tip most hosts miss is, according to George Acevedo, not to wing it – but, most importantly, to listen.
- Jeremy Enns talks to Courtney Kocak about how to make your podcast unique.
- Produced by Quill:C Suite Join Claudette McGowan, TD Bank’s Global Executive Officer for Cyber Security, as she explores how cyber-attacks happen and what we can do to avoid them. From phishing schemes to robocalls, Claudette meets with C Suite leaders to discuss cyber challenges and ways to help people become more protected.
- Exactly. With Florence Given is launched today by Somethin’Else – artist, feminist and bestselling author, Florence and her guests will take big topics – sex, relationships, social media, feminism, and body image – and examine them through a feminist lens. – read more
- In the latest episode of The Podcast Accelerator, co-founder Mark Asquith talks about podcast hosting company Captivate’s acquisition by Global, and the company’s plans for 2022. (Podnews’s Editor was an advisor for Captivate).
- From ID, Mafia Tapes dives into the history of the DeMeo crew, and a trusted associate, Dominick Montiglio. You’ll hear from Montiglio in his own words – before his sudden and unexpected death during the making of the podcast. It launches today. – read more
Readers and supporters:
Gold supporters:Buzzsprout, RSS Podcasting, Mamamia, Resonate Recordings, audioBoom, SALT, Amazon Music, ABF Creative, Riverside.fm, Spreaker, Jar Audio, Simplecast, Podchaser, Awesound, Acast, The Roost, We Edit Podcasts, Podmetrics, One of One Productions Podcast Studio, Adonde Media, Podpage websites, Knit, Megaphone, Disctopia, LWC Studios, backtracks.fm, Libsyn, ElasticPod, Podbean, Evergreen Podcasts, Focusrite, Luminary, Engle, Advertisecast, ART19, TED Audio Collective, Knucklehead Media Group
Silver supporters:Storic Media, Podcode, Jonekiri, Storyboard, Osiris Media, Terra Firma Audio, Polymash, Omny Studio, Message Heard, SoundMedia, Podscribe, Bullhorn, Health Podcast Network, Julep Hosting, Julep Podcast Marketing, Podcast Taxi, Ossa Collective, Lemonada Media, Podcast Guests, Cleanvoice, Heartcast Media50, Headliner, Notetracks, Wondery, Quill Podcasting, The Podcast Engineer, Pacific Content, Diversion Podcasts, RockWater Industries, Transmitter Media, Castbox, Transistor, Castos, Kast Media, Jam Street Media, Bababam, Whooshkaa, SPI, Double Elvis Productions, Latina Podcasters Network, 18sixty, matchmaker.fm, Podcastpage, Optimal Living Daily, Glisten Media Podcast Production, Sonic Influencer Marketing, Maps.fm, Zvook, Rephonic, Podcast Ad Report, Barevalue, Oxford Road, Ad Results Media, Chartable, Podcast Partnership, StreamGuys, Know or Not? Podcast Network, Content10x, Rachel Corbett\s Podschool, EverythingWithPodcasting, DAX, She Podcasts, Podknife, adswizz, Adopter Media, Veritone One, Margarita Noriega, Stakhanov, Podcast Movement, Sonix, Lower Street, Revolver Podcasts, Podigy, School of Podcasting, Cleanfeed, Signal Hill Insights, Edison Research
Support us – this feed for Podmust.com
Image: Jojo Yuen
Daily news about the global podcasting and on-demand audio industry. Curated by James Cridland.